Scan and x-ray results

Last Wednesday, 07 October, I had my routine CT scan.  From experience, I've learnt that it's quicker to have the nurse insert a cannula for the contrast dye rather than use my port.  Wanting to spend as little time in the hospital as possible, I bravely rolled up my sleeves and presented my arm for the nurse.  However try as she might - and she tried - she couldn't find a vein.  Another nurse was called in to have a go, however not even a very tight tourniquet, fist clenching and a fair bit of tapping, could bring any of my veins to the surface.  Thankfully I do have the port so I was sent off to have the port accessed and then, just an hour late, headed back to have my CT scan. 

This CT scan was quite significant.  It would show whether the break in treatment had caused any progression.  It would also be used to check for progression against the bone scan that was done on 07 August.  There were two areas of possible concern in the bone scan, my lower spine and my right pelvis.  This past week my back has become quite stiff and tight and so I assumed the worst.  I spent the weekend trying not to think about it but that meant thinking of nothing at all and a weekend full of dire TV and comfort food.

I turned up at Guy's Cancer Centre for my routine blood tests and oncology appointment to get my scan results and was shocked to find it abuzz with people milling around and no spare chairs in the waiting area.  No more COVID ghost town and on time appointments.  I had an hours wait to get my blood test and then I headed up to oncology to wait to see my consultant.  The oncology floor was like Piccadilly Circus with consultants and nurses coming and going, whispered conversations and doors opening and closing.  Finally, my name came up on the screen - consulting room 34.  Which consultant would be behind the door today - I seem to have a different consultant each time.  Today it was Dr Rigg.  I'd met her once before when I was admitted on the ward a couple years ago with my infected port.  Thankfully she cut straight to the chase and said that magical word "stable".  We then went through the scan report together - calcification on the spine but that was good as it showed signs of healing.  My right pelvis was still on the watch list - at risk of a fracture as rather than calcification, it's an osteolytic lesion, or a "punched-out" area of bone loss.  One to be mindful of but hopefully it will go the way of my left pelvis which was fractured and healed itself in time.

The scan did show up a cyst in my ovaries which may or may not be a thing.  Typical Kris, add something else to the mix.  I guess I should be thankful my lungs and liver are clear as they're the most likely organs any progression would spread to.  Anyway, to put my mind at rest I'm going to have a transvaginal ultrasound and then a follow up appointment with oncology in three weeks.  

Wanting to make the most of my first face to face appointment in eight months, I mentioned my dodgy knees to Dr Rigg.  The x-rays hadn't shown up anything so it was likely osteoarthritis.  I wanted to know if there was anything else I could do to ease the pain apart from take regular panadol.  Apparently there is.  It's called losing weight and regular exercise.  That told me!  No more pity parties or excuses.  Time to make good on intentions.  

No comments

Post a comment

© Cancer club | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig